Landlord FAQ

How long will the program pay rent?
The length of rental assistance varies depending on several factors:

  • Program limitations- some programs are considered long term assistance while others are considered short term rental assistance (see below: what is the difference between the Rapid Rehousing programs and Permanent Supportive Housing vouchers?)
  • Client needs- some clients only need a “light touch” or just a short time of assistance while others may need assistance longer. With the Rapid Rehousing program, our goal is to help individuals maintain their housing without assistance no longer than a 12 month time period.
  • Client participation –case management is provided to clients receiving assistance and clients are also linked to other community resources that could help with clients’ stability. Clients work on their individualized housing plan to maintain program assistance.

What is the difference between the Rapid Rehousing programs and Permanent Supportive Housing vouchers?

  • Rapid Rehousing is a short term rental assistance program. Clients will be re certified every three months for eligibility and the need for continuing assistance. Supportive Services for Veterans Families is similar to Rapid Rehousing but specifically for veterans. One difference is with the SSVF program, we may be able to assist veterans who are facing eviction.
  • Permanent Supportive Housing vouchers are a longer term rental assistance program. The program works similarly to Housing Choice vouchers or Section 8. Clients are responsible for a portion of rent based on their income and there is an annual review for continued eligibility. The Housing Authority of Winston Salem administers this program. The Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Administration Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program is also similar to Housing Choice voucher program but is specifically for veterans.
    For clients receiving either a PSH or HUD VASH voucher, dual enrollment in either RRH or SSVF may be provided to assist clients with application fees and needed deposits.

What services are provided to my tenant?
Tenants/clients will receive case management services while on the program, including home visits. Case managers will refer to other community resources to increase self sufficiency including employment and financial services.

What programs require inspections?
All programs receiving funds through federal and state grants require an inspection. This would include Rapid Rehousing (RRH), Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF), Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) and Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Administration Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH).

Who completes the inspections?
Inspections on units for tenants receiving RRH, SSVF and sometimes PSH are completed by RRH staff. HUD-VASH inspections as well as most PSH inspections are completed by the local Housing Authority. All inspections are completed by HUD certified inspectors and follow the Housing Quality Standards (HQS) guidelines set by HUD.

What are inspectors looking for when inspecting a unit?
HAWS owner self check for insepctions

What is the Fair Housing? How can I find out more?
The Fair Housing Ordinance of the City of Winston Salem prohibits the following acts based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap or family status: Refusing to sell or rent housing, lying about the availability of housing, evicting someone from housing, and discriminating in the terms of conditions of housing, such as rent, security deposits, house sale prices, the use of facilities or financing.

Who’s responsible for background checks?
Landlords / property managers are responsible for completing background checks. Most tenants can receive assistance with the application fee if needed.

What is the Housing Assistance Payment agreement?
The HAP agreement is a contract between the program and the property manager / owner.
Click on the HAP Link for a copy of the HAP agreement. HAP Agreement

When/how will I get paid?
For RRH and SSVF programs Landlords will receive rent payment checks by the first of the month. Checks are currently processed by United Way of Forsyth County. For programs administered by the Housing Authority of W-S, payment is based on their processing schedule and funds are oftentimes directly deposited into banking accounts.